We assess for Autism Spectrum Disorder among toddlers, children, teens, and adults using the ADOS 2. The ADOS 2 (Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition) is an Autism-specific standardized and observational assessment that has been developed through extensive research. This assessment is highly recommended when diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder, including diagnoses formerly referred to as Asperger Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and “high-functioning” Autism. A psychologist must be trained to administer and interpret the ADOS 2. The ADOS 2 has become one of the few assessments deemed appropriate to provide evidence of Autism for the purposes of seeking ABA therapy and other related services.
We may incorporate other clinically recommended measures to conduct a thorough assessment, such as cognitive functioning, adaptive functioning, and behavioral functioning assessments.
We have received specialized training to understand the complex presentations of Autism Spectrum Disorder across the lifespan. Based on the collaboratively established evaluation goals, we provide a recommended plan of action. Our plan of action includes treatment recommendations, career or academic accommodations, and career or academic considerations. Our recommendations include short-term and long-term recommendations in order to maximize personal, interpersonal, career, and academic potential.
A psychologist will conduct the evaluation in its entirety to include:
- Comprehensive clinical interview with parents or guardians and/or client
- Thorough review of clinical records
- Thorough review of academic records
- Administration of the ADOS 2 concomitantly with other standardized assessments deemed appropriate
- Scientifically-driven interpretation of all assessment and record data
- Concise and comprehensive written report of findings and recommendations connected to evaluation goals
- One-on-one feedback session with parents or guardians and/or client to review the findings and answer any questions