Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is the difference between each of the services you offer (psychological testing, counseling, and leadership consulting)?

Psychological testing is intended to support or rule out specific diagnoses (e.g., ADHD, learning disabilities). It incorporates standardized psychological assessments (such as IQ, achievement, personality) results and a psychologist’s relevant experience to establish a clear diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Testing is typically conducted by a licensed psychologist trained in the relevant area of concern. Testing can also be provided by a mental health professional who is supervised by a licensed psychologist.

Counseling or therapy offered at ICPS assists children, teens, and adults with mental health concerns and career or academic concerns. Counseling must be provided by a licensed mental health professional (e.g., licensed psychologist) or a graduate trainee who is supervised by a licensed mental health professional. This is intended to regulate the profession and ensure that individuals conducting counseling have received adequate training and supervision. This separates counseling from other professions, such as coaching.

Lastly, leadership development consulting (i.e., executive coaching and leadership trainings) is intended to develop leaders within organizations in order to improve individual, team, and organizational performance. A leadership consultant does not need to hold a license. However, many licensed psychologists receive training in leadership development and apply their transferable psychological skills in consulting roles. It is helpful to ask about a leadership consultant’s training; relevant certifications or licenses; and evidence of success of leadership development programs.

2) Do you accept health insurances?

ICPS does not accept health insurances for various reasons. Importantly, we do not involve a third party (i.e., insurance company) in your treatment in order to ensure confidentiality to the highest degree possible; provide the highest quality of service without a third party determining your treatment length and frequency; and ensure timely service delivery.

3) What are psychological testing, therapy, and leadership consulting fees?

A complimentary 15 minute phone consultation is provided to interested clients. Psychological testing and counseling fees with a Licensed Psychologist (Ph.D.) are $200 for the initial assessment session, which is the first step. Following the initial assessment, fees are $200 per 50-6o minute sessions, including writing reports for psychological testing/evaluations.

If desired, documentation can be provided for Out of Network benefits. For leadership consulting services, please call for additional details and individualized proposals.

4) What general background information should I look for in a provider?

You should look for relevant training, licensing credentials, cultural competence, collaboration, and both research and practice experience. You should search for a provider who demonstrates evidence of training related to your area of concern or strength. In addition, you should find a provider who is licensed or supervised by a licensed mental health professional, such as a licensed psychologist.

Licensed psychologists hold a doctoral degree (typically a PhD or a PsyD in Counseling or Clinical Psychology). Licensed psychologists with PhDs have experience integrating and conducting scientific research and practice. PsyD programs place a greater emphasis on psychological practice rather than conducting psychological research.

You should search for a provider trained in understanding and applying multicultural knowledge and skills. This is relevant to all individuals, as all individuals have cultural factors that have influenced their experiences, values, goals, and behaviors. It is imperative to find a provider that you feel you can approach with concerns, questions, or suggestions.

In order for treatment to be effective, you should feel that your provider is working with you as a collaborator. Lastly, I recommend a provider who integrates both research studies and practice-related expertise. Your provider should understand and keep up to date with relevant scientific studies that pertain to your concerns and strengths. In addition, if your provider has conducted scientific research, this provides them with the ability to discern high quality studies from lower quality studies.